Jul

Keep (T)alking

Mazen Fayad

Mazen M. Fayad, Executive Creative Director, JWT Kuwait

“On behalf of JWT Kuwait, JWT creative team and myself I would like to congratulate all the winners at the KAAA especially agency/network of the year FCB Horizon.

Mabrouk.

Although JWT Kuwait harvested 10 awards (4 gold, 4 silver, 2 bronze), we were surprised that none of the work that was celebrated at the regional and international ceremonies (New York Festivals, Dubai Lynx and Mena Cristal) had won. Then again, while international recognition means a lot to us, being respected and admired locally shows that our work is well-targetted and relevant to our business, our clients and our immediate consumers.

On that front, and I’m sure you would all agree with me that the level of advertising including those we had won is still not up to all our desired standard. Is it because of the nature of the market? Is it because of the budget factors? Is it because we are not up to the international level? Is it because we have conformed to the status quo? Or is it because of the qoz? Frankly, we have the tendency of turning all these questions into invalid excuses but at the end of the day we all want to produce great work.

So let’s do it!

As creative directors, we owe it to our talents to bring out the best in them. If they can’t do it on their restricted briefs, let them do it pro-actively. This is their motivation – and trust me we would all be surprised (even on the business side). So let’s not bash one another for what was released and what was not and what is ghost and what is not, instead, let’s celebrate good ideas wherever they come from and raise the standard of the industry we work. Because on any given night, winning another award is not as orgasmic as winning the one we are all proud of”.

Source:http://www.ads2blog.com/2008/06/30/at-the-end-of-the-day-we-all-want-to-produce-great-work/

The above great speech bestowed upon us by the great creative leader of his time sounds convincing at first; but a closer examination of “his” creativity many of which are featured on this blog brings us to the conclusion that it is not enough to talk the talk…you should also walk the walk…so either practice what you preach or…keep walking.

NB. Why were the comments off for this post on the source? One way communication!!!

26 Responses to “Keep (T)alking”

1. 1 kre8tive
    July 6, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Hahaaah! You really can’t get enough of it, can you? Well, nice one for having this posted here;-P Oh, and please, you call him the great creative of his time? Come on, where’s the creativity in copying the toothpaste piano ads? Give me a F**king KitKat!!!

2. July 6, 2008 at 11:51 pm

It is called sarcasm 😉

3. July 7, 2008 at 12:16 am

this is another example of it…

Now I understand what CV stands for on his résumé

ctrl C
    ctrl V

:p

4. July 7, 2008 at 5:50 am

Mazen is one of the best creatives around no one can deny it. JWT does too 🙂

5. 5 X
    July 7, 2008 at 8:50 am

I deny it 🙂 shame shame shame . . .

6. July 7, 2008 at 10:53 am

I strongly deny it based on the evidence posted on this blog; just type JWT in the small search box and enjoy Mazen C3 (C3 = Copy Cat Creativity) 😉

7. July 7, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Anubis, i’m saying that and I’m not even a JWT designer anymore. trust me, Mazen is a creative person. btw, I’m at columbus fanar, what about coffee?

8. July 7, 2008 at 12:43 pm

call me +965 6009977

9. July 7, 2008 at 12:57 pm

dropped an sms 🙂

10. 10 kre8tive
    July 7, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Those awards could’ve gone to the agencies who worked their arses off in having a a real, hard-working campaign, from client approval to newspaper releases. Such a Pity:-(

ps. Louai, When is IAA going to happen? This is the only hope, I guess.

11. July 7, 2008 at 4:22 pm

membership is open for the IAA. apply now to help make the positive change 😉

12. 12 kre8tive
    July 7, 2008 at 8:25 pm

how can I apply? Guidelines please. Thnx.

13. July 7, 2008 at 9:37 pm

we can e-mail you the PDF application form (feel free to distribute it)…you fill the form then Mr. Michel Barakat (our treasurer) will call you to collect the membership fee of 100KD (you will be given a receipt) for a full year subscription…you will get a membership card which will enable you to get discounts on all IAA events all over the world (even some non IAA events as well) you will also get a user name and a password to access members only area on the IAA global website which has the worlds largest creative archive as well as case studies and research data, you will get the international IAA directory (hardcopy with your contacts), as well as an electronic newsletter, etc. etc. etc. NB. many more membership benefits are in the pipeline 🙂

14. 14 kre8tive
    July 7, 2008 at 11:12 pm

Count me in.

15. 15 X
    July 8, 2008 at 9:06 am

🙂 me to 🙂

16. July 8, 2008 at 8:10 pm

It was nice meeting you Louai 🙂

17. July 8, 2008 at 8:49 pm

It was nice meeting you too Moey; lets meet again 🙂

18. July 13, 2008 at 11:37 am

Louai, you might like this 😛 http://www.flickr.com/photos/secular_humanist/2663073602/
    did it out of boredom 😛

19. 19 The Parv
    July 15, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I’ve just chanced upon your blog…and I’m well impressed! How do you keep track of all these copycats? I didn’t realise there was this much plagiarism coming out of the UAE…winning awards they so don’t deserve. Shocking stuff.

20. July 15, 2008 at 4:35 pm

I came across most examples in books, magazines, websites and award ceremonies which I have either judged or participated in while practicing my profession; many other great examples are from my partner site http://www.joelapompe.net and a good few came as contributions from industry professionals and my team.

21. July 20, 2008 at 9:58 am

the logo is stolen there louai.

22. September 24, 2008 at 1:30 pm